- Assessing the productivity and profitability of the Solar Market Garden. J. Burney, S. Phillips, J. Lahl. Development Engineering (2018).
- High spatial resolution visual band imagery outperforms medium resolution spectral imagery for ecosystem assessment in the semi-arid Brazilian Sertão. R. Goldblatt, A. Rivera Ballesteros, J. Burney. Remote Sensing, 9:12 (2017).
- Impact of a rural solar electrification project on the level and structure of women's empowerment. J. Burney, H. Alaofe, D. Taren, R. Naylor. Environmental Research Letters, 12 (2017).
- Association between Women’s empowerment and Maternal and Child Nutrition in Kalalé District of Northern Benin. H. Alaofe, M. Zhu, J. Burney, R. Naylor, D. Taren. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 38:3 (2017).
- Ecosystem Services Mapping for Sustainable Agricultural Water Management in California’s Central Valley. E. Matios & J. Burney. Environmental Science & Technology, 51:5 (2017).
- Prevalence of Anemia, Deficiencies of Iron and Vitamin A and Their Determinants in Rural Women and Young Children: A Cross-sectional Study in Kalalé District of Northern Benin. H. Alaofe, J. Burney, R. Naylor, D. Taren, Public Health Nutrition (2017).
- Solar-powered drip irrigation impacts on crops production diversity and dietary diversity in Northern Benin. H. Alaofe, J. Burney, R. Naylor, D, Taren, Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 37:2 (2016).
- The potential for land sparing to offset greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture. A. Lamb, R. Green, I. Bateman, M. Broadmeadow, T. Bruce, J. Burney, P. Carey, D. Chadwick, E. Crane, R. Field, K. Goulding, H. Griffiths, A. Hastings, T. Kasoar, D. Kindred, B. Phalan, J. Pickett, P. Smith, E. Wall, E.K.H.J. zu Ermgassen & A. Balmford, Nature Climate Change, 6 (2016).
- Cookstoves Illustrate the Need for a Comprehensive Carbon Market. L. Sanford & J. Burney. Environmental Research Letters, 10 (2015).
- Recent Climate and Air Pollution Impacts on Indian Agriculture. J. Burney & V. Ramanathan. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111:46 (2014).
- Methods for attributing land-use emissions to products. S. Davis, J. Burney, J. Pongratz, K. Caldeira. Carbon Management, 5:2 (2014).
- Climate change adaptation strategies for smallholder farmers in the Brazilian Sertao. J. Burney, D. Cesano, J. Russell, E. L. La Rovere, T. Corral, N. S. Coelho, L. Santos. Climatic Change, 126:1-2 (2014).
- The case for distributed irrigation as a development priority in sub-Saharan Africa. J. Burney, R. Naylor, S. Postel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110:31 (2013).
- Real-time assessment of Black Carbon pollution in Indian households due to traditional and improved biomass cookstoves. A. Kar, I.H. Rehman, J. Burney*, P.S. Praveen, R. Suresh, L. Singh, V.K. Singh, T. Ahmed, N. Ramanathan, V. Ramanathan. Environmental Science & Technology, 46:5 (2012).
- Smallholder irrigation as poverty alleviation tool in sub-Saharan Africa. J. Burney & R. Naylor. World Development, 40:1 (2012).
- Greenhouse gas mitigation by agricultural intensification. J. Burney, S. Davis, D. Lobell. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 107:26 (2010).
- Solar-powered drip irrigation enhances food security in the Sudano-Sahel. J. Burney, L. Woltering, M. Burke, R. Naylor, D. Pasternak. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 107:5 (2010).
- Transition-edge sensor arrays for UV-optical-IR astrophysics. J. Burney, T.J. Bay, J. Barral, P.L. Brink, B. Cabrera, J.P. Castle, A.J. Miller, S.W. Nam, D. Rosenberg, R.W. Romani, A. Tomada. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A, 559:2 (2006).
- The optical imaging TES detector array: Considerations for a cryogenic imaging instrument. T.J. Bay, J. Burney, J. Barral, P.L. Brink, B. Cabrera, J.P. Castle, A.J. Miller, S.W. Nam, R.W. Romani, A. Tomada. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A, 559:2 (2006).
- Development and characterization of a TES optical imaging array for astrophysics applications. J. Burney, T.J. Bay, P. Brink, B. Cabrera, P. Castle, R. Romani, A. Tomada, S. Nam, A. Miller, J. Martinis, E. Wang, T. Kenny, B. Young. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A, 520:1-3 (2004).
Other Academic Publications
- Science and Pathways for Bending the Curve. W. D. Collins, S. J. Davis, R. Bales, J. Burney, R. McCarthy, E. Rignot, W. Torre, D. Victor, Collabra, 2:1 (2016).
- India-California Air Pollution Mitigation Program (ICAMP). A joint initiative by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) India, University of California at San Diego (UCSD), and the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
- Creating synergies between water, energy, and food security for smallholders. J. Burney (chapter 6) in The Evolving Sphere of Food Security [R. Naylor, ed.], Oxford University Press (2014).
- Getting serious about the new realities of global climate change. J. Burney, C. Kennel, D. Victor. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 69:4 (2013).
- Transition-Edge Cameras for Fast Optical Spectrophotometry. R.W. Romani, T.J. Bay, J. Burney, B. Cabrera, in High Time Resolution Astrophysics, D. Phelan, O. Ryan, A. Shearer (eds.). Astrophysics and Space Science Library, 351 (2008).
- Development of superconducting transition edge sensors for time- and energy-resolved single-photon counters with application to imaging astronomy. Bay, T.J., J. Burney, P.L. Brink, B. Cabrera, J.P. Castle, R.W. Romani, A. Tomada, B.A. Young, S. Nam, A.J. Miller, J. Martinis, T.W. Kenny, E. Wang, in Materials for Infrared Detectors III. Edited by Longshore, Randolph E.; Sivananthan, Sivalingam. Proceedings of the SPIE, 5209 (2003).
- UV-IR Science Prospects with TES Imaging Arrays. R.W. Romani, J. Burney, P. Brink, B. Cabrera, P. Castle, T. Kenny, E. Wang, B. Young, A.J. Miller, S.W. Nam, in Hubble’s Science Legacy: Future Optical-Ultraviolet Astronomy from Space, K.R. Sembach, J.C. Blades, G.D. Illingworth, R.C. Kennicutt, Jr. (eds.). ASP Conference Series, 291 (2003).
Use Science to Make Earth a Better Place. J. Burney, New York Times, 4 January 2003.
Transition-Edge Sensor Imaging Arrays for Astrophysics Applications. J. Burney, Stanford University (2006).